If you feel distressed about any deterioration in your hearing abilities, or may be noticing some hearing loss, here are five exercises to help improve the health of your hearing.
1. Solve puzzles to preserve hearing - Your brain has a huge role in processing sound and information our ears receive. Studies have indicated that there is a correlation between hearing loss and anxiety or depression. This may be due to atrophy in the brain. This is when brain cells and connections are reduced or impaired.
Just like muscles in your body, your brain needs to engage in exercises to remain strong and active.
It’s a good idea to solve an array of puzzles such as crossword puzzles, Sudoku, or word searches each day or week. You could also socialize with friends by playing bingo or cards games to give your brain a workout.
2. Yoga can improve your hearing health - Yoga exercises can help with your hearing by circulating blood flow to your ears and brain. Having more circulation helps to increase nerve function and expels toxins and waste.
Yoga poses that can help with blood circulation are cobra, lotus, tree, and triangle pose. Yoga can also help with tinnitus.
3. Engage in exercises every day to help with your hearing - A healthy body is vital to
keep your ears and brain healthy. Maintain a strong blood circulation by walking, jogging,
doing yoga, gardening, or housework.
Do not exercise while wearing headphones, earbuds, or near any loud music. Frequent exposure to loud noises may damage ear hairs, which cannot be restored. If you choose to exercise while listening to music, keep the volume at a low level that’s comfortable to listen to.
If anyone around you can hear the music from your headphones or earbuds, your music is too loud.
4. Enhance your hearing abilities through meditation - As an exercise, meditate outside
in a park, or other public space where you will be surrounded by various noises. While
meditating, deeply inhale and exhale to circulate your blood. This will build up oxygen
levels throughout your body. Focus in and away from each sound nearby and try to determine the location of each sound.
This exercise is meant to help you hone in on interpreting sounds in loud environments
and finding out where the sound is emerging from.
5. Train yourself to focus on and locate sounds in order to sharpen your hearing - By
engaging in hearing exercises, you can pinpoint where sounds are emerging from and
who or what is making the noises.
You can put a speaker or radio in one section of the room, and play music at a volume level that is comfortable. Place another source of sound in a different section of the room and increase the volume until both sounds produce a noisy atmosphere.
Have somebody move around the room while reading sentences or reciting phrases.
Shut your eyes, repeat what that person said to you, and try to locate the area where they are reading or reciting from.
Even though these tips are meant to promote health for your hearing, anyone who suffers from hearing loss should get a hearing test as soon as possible. Hearing loss that goes untreated may result in more serious hearing loss that is irreversible. This may affect your cognitive, health and mental well-being.
Contact us at Pure Sound Hearing Aids to schedule a free hearing test and consultation with one of our hearing instrument specialists!