The only type of hearing loss that is avoidable is noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). NIHL occurs when you lose your sense of hearing due to exposure to loud sounds.
You may be able to adapt to loud noises, but your ears and your brain will not be able to do so. Your hearing cannot be recovered after losing it through NIHL. This type of hearing loss slowly progresses, so it’s usually too late to prevent damage to your hearing by the time it becomes evident.
Here are ten tips to protect your hearing health:
1. Always wear protection for your hearing when you are exposed to loud sounds. Getting foam earplugs are a cost-effective solution, or you could even invest in a pair of custom earplugs as an even better way to block out noise.
2. Reduce the amount of your time spent exposed to loud noises.
3. Lower the volume on your T.V., radio, music, or any other entertainment devices.
4. Stay away from noisy or loud activities/areas, whenever possible.
5. When you listen to loud sounds (e.g. concerts, music, fitness classes, etc.) take quiet intervals between the noises.
6. Distance yourself from the loudest source that is emanating sound (e.g. fireworks, speakers, etc.)
7. Give your ears a break, so they can recuperate after being exposed to the loud noises.
8. Do not place anything that is smaller than your elbow into your ear (e.g. bobby pins, cotton swabs, keys, paperclips, or any other instruments you use to clean or scratch your ears.).
9. Keep yourself in moving! Exercising maintains proper blood flow throughout the body, including your ears. Exercising keeps the internal components of your ears healthy.
10. Get a hearing test conducted, specifically if you encounter any changes in your hearing, any ringing sensations, or feeling of fullness in your ears that lasts more than 24 hours.
Whether you notice any changes in your hearing or not, it's important to get a regular check-up to test your hearing health. Please contact us at Pure Sound Hearing Aids for a free hearing test and consultation. We offer a variety of devices from top hearing aid brands!