Modern technology has changed the way we hear, and there are always new specialized advancements being made. In addition to enhancements in hearing aid features, the latest technology provides its users with total control over the devices.
A wide range of hearing technology is readily available through your smartphone or tablet devices. Features such as hearing loss simulation, communication tools, hearing aid control and amplification can be used on your smartphone or tablet.
There are so many apps available these days, so it might be difficult to find the one that works best for you.
Here are five of the top hearing loss and tinnitus apps:
1. Clear Captions: This app is for people who have difficulty while speaking to others over the phone. Whether you wear hearing aids or not, Clear Captions is a useful tool to communicate with others.
After turning the app on, Clear Captions automatically generate captions of your phone call. This allows you to simultaneously listen and see the words of the person who is speaking, thus reducing your frustration.
In order to use Clear Captions for free, you must be diagnosed with hearing loss and be a resident of the U.S. Submit your certification of hearing loss (provided by your hearing health care professional) and you will be given access to the Clear Captions app - and other services/equipment - free of charge.
The smartphone app is currently only available through the Apple App Store, so you will need an iPad or iPhone to access it. You may also access Clear Captions with certain landlines, so it can be utilized without a smartphone.
2. Signia app: The Signia app is easy to use, provides connectivity, and advanced functionality. Your smartphone with the downloaded Signia app lets you control your hearing aids discreetly and quickly. You can control the volume level, programs, sound balance, improve directional hearing aids and allows you to tweak adjustments when needed.
For connectivity purposes, if you use StreamLine TV or StreamLine Mic, use the Signia app to smoothly and instantly adjust the settings. If your hearing aids feature tinnitus therapy, you can change the settings to reduce your symptoms.
This app is available for Android and iOS.
3. Sound Scouts: This hearing test app is for teens, adults and children ages 4 and up. You still need a hearing test from a professional, but the Sound Scout app’s hearing test lets users monitor their hearing health at the push of a button.
It’s a great tool to use for those who feel anxious about getting a hearing test because it prepares them for what they should expect. It utilizes interactive tests, images and animation.
Sound Scouts is available for both Android and iOS, which lets you use it on different devices. The creators of this app recommend that people of all ages, who are being tested, wear a good quality pair of adult headphones while using the app. After the headphones are placed on, download the app and begin the hearing test.
4. Noise-induced hearing loss: Also known as NIHL, being exposed to excessive noise can damage your hearing health. It’s difficult to determine when noises are too loud. These apps let users monitor the volume in their surroundings, so that you can know when you’ve reached your hearing threshold and protect yourself.
NIHL is the only preventable type of hearing loss, but it’s not always possible to determine when you are exposed to hazardous levels of noise. Many people have hearing loss or tinnitus due to this exposure. In the future use these apps, if you plan to go to a public space that might be too loud.
5. Purple P3 Mobile: Purple Communications provides a number of VRS (video relay services). Now it offers the option of remaining connected from anywhere with the P3 mobile app. This app is available on iOS and Android.
Functioning as a VRS allows P3 to easily communicate with others through the telephone. An ASL interpreter will be available. Just open the app and indicate who or where you would like to call. P3 includes smartwatch notifications, incoming call notifications, number lookup, a selection of themes, and full screen notifications.
Get Help for Your Hearing
If you are noticing that you, or a loved one, are becoming more isolated and depressed due to hearing loss, get help. At Pure Sound, our hearing instrument specialists will patiently work with you to find the hearing aids that work best for you and program the devices for your specific needs.
Please be aware that Pure Sound services will only be available by appointment and for essential visits at this time. Essential visits include all appointments that require repairs, re-fittings and new hearing aid fittings. We ask that you please wait in your car, while wearing your mask, and place your hearing aids in a clean zip lock bag. We will come to your car to get them. If you are having any problems with your hearing aids, or need supplies for your hearing aids, please call us before visiting one of our offices.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.